Only three months after Pando entered the public beta version it surpassed the 1 million installs barrier.
Pando it’s a free and user-friendly application which allows consumers to send and receive high quality digital media with their existing email accounts. During the three months, Pando transferred over 3 petabytes (3 million gigabytes) through its network.
Pando users can securely send up to 1GB of digital media — home movies, folders of family photos, business presentations and other large files — to anyone with an email address. No registration or new email accounts are required. Underneath its simple interface, Pando is powered by the company’s enhanced BitTorrent technology; Pando uniquely combines the distribution efficiencies of peer-to-peer (P2P) technology with the “send-and-forget” ease of email.
“The enthusiastic response from our beta testers has propelled Pando into a viral phenomenon,” said Robert Levitan, CEO of Pando. “Our rapid user growth, combined with positive reactions from partners, investors and the press has been a great validation of our mission: providing an easy, convenient way to share large digital files using familiar tools such as email and IM.”
Pando has nice features:
- A popular Yahoo! Messenger plug-in — One of the most popular Yahoo! Messenger (with Voice version 8.0) plug-ins since its launch, this free plug-in allows users to share large, high quality media files and folders with their Yahoo! Contacts.
- An upcoming Outlook plug-in — For the first time, Outlook users can easily attach large files and folders, up to 1GB, to any email. Pando does the heavy lifting in the background, without clogging inboxes.
- High-speed LAN transfers — Pando automatically detects when files are being transferred within local area networks (LANs) and ensures maximum upload/download speeds. Corporate users have reported speeds upwards of 8MB per second.
- Folder transfer — Entire folders of files can be emailed to anyone, greatly streamlining the sharing of multiple files such as digital photo collections.
- Efficient 1-click forwarding — Pando Packages can be forwarded instantaneously, no re-uploading required.
- Strong data encryption — Pando provides end-to-end 256-bit AES encryption, and soon, optional password protection for files.
- Mac version — Addressing the needs of the multitudes of A/V savvy Mac users, Pando developers created a Mac version that is just as robust as its Windows version.
If you are interested, you can download Pando from here, for Windows or for Mac.